12

Târgu Mureș, Orthodox Synagogue — Once able to seat up to 1200 people, the red-brick former Orthodox synagogue is located less than 5 minutes walk from the still-functioning Status Quo Ante synagogue. Converted for use as office spaces for an electronics manufacturing company after the revolution, the only characteristics remaining that hint at former usage is the rare ornamentation on a wall or ceiling. Within the boundaries of northern Transylvania annexed to Hungary during World War II, 7,380 Jews from Târgu Mureș and surrounding areas were forced into a ghetto in spring of 1944 and deported to Auschwitz shortly thereafter. Approximately 10 percent returned.

Leave a Reply