Despite its small size, Făgăraș has had a relatively large and progressive Jewish population since the early 19th century. Built in 1858 after the local government ordered the first one dismantled in 1836, this synagogue has been essentially abandoned over the past several decades. Lacking any sort of lock, homeless people lived here and discarded clothing, feces and other refuse entirely covered the main hall, empty of all furniture. In June 2008 it became the target of a civil service project organised by Julian Gröger (pictured) through the NGO Transriver e.V. and funded by the Robert-Bosch-Stiftung, during which volunteer youth from Romania, Moldova and Germany performed basic clean-up and repair. There are tentative future plans for use as a cultural centre, library or for other municipal events.