15

The first synagogue in Deva was erected in 1851 though the building photographed was apparently built in the 1896. The two balconies for women and elaborately carved and embellished Aron Kodesh, where the Torah was formerly stored, attest to the once great size and status of the population. The exterior was restored in the early 2000s by a joint effort of the town hall and the Federation of Jewish Communities in Romania but the interior remains in a state of decaying ruin today. A fast-food restaurant rents out the front portion facing the street.

Leave a Reply