In terms of relative size to the majority ethnic groups, Reghin was home to one of the most populous Jewish communities in the region. The synagogue was constructed in 1866. Also the site of one of the regional ghettos, more than 3,000 people were deported to Auschwitz in early June 1944. Located one block from the main street, the large, grey building stands apart from its neighbours at the triangular intersection of three streets. The synagogue was sold during the 1990s and today the building houses several small shoe selling stands. The sign reads “to rent” and, intriguingly, someone has taped a small, paper cut-out Star of David to the door.